Monday, November 5, 2012

I Read Some Marx (And I Liked It)



This is just a really funny video that I had to share.  I found it at another good Sociology blog, Everday Sociology  (Thanks to Peter Kaufman).  It is quite funny but Peter's post raises a very good and relevant issue about the modern demonization of Karl Marx. Most people know little to nothing about Marx. His name is only thrown about as politically charged insults. Certainly, all sociologists do not love Marx, but I would argue that any good sociologist will at least acknowledge that Marx had some valid points, and that his work is very relevant even today.

What is your view on Marx?  Love him? Hate him? Love his beard?? (me too)
Will the general public ever get to a point where they actually understand him, or will he continue to be caricatured in partisan political rhetoric?

No comments:

Post a Comment