Sunday, November 4, 2012

Is the GRE legitimate?

Took the GRE yesterday.   ....ugghhh  What an ugly monster that was. According to the estimated scores I got, I did really well on the verbal section and pretty well on the quantitative section.  It was rough, and after taking it I found myself questioning the point of it. Most of the test questions were beyond material I need for my everyday academic life. The GRE is supposed to test graduate potential, but it seemed a bit irrelevant to me, and apparently to others. Check out this article:

http://psychcentral.com

I can understand why someone completely bombing the GRE might cause a red flag for graduate admissions, but I do not see the reverse. That is to say that I do not think that scoring really high on the GRE is a good indicator of a student's likely success in graduate school.
What do you think of the GRE? Is it a good indicator or a useless (or even biased) obstacle?

No comments:

Post a Comment